Monday, November 7, 2011

The first hurdle - oops - and the first nasty surprise.

So, I have been off my meds since the end of July and, despite a pretty gruelling schedule, I've been doing fine but today, just as I was setting off, I got a horrible pain in my hip and couldn't bear the idea of doing the 35 minutes from where I'm staying now to the place I am considering buying. Luckily I had an excuse to bail as the vendor is a Muslim and away in Colombo visiting family for Eid so it made sense to put it back a day.

In the last post I spoke about the "unknown unknowns" and then today had a perfect example. In a conversation about the merits and otherwise of swimming pools on one's property, it transpired that there may be a development planned for the lagoon. Something to do with a private/military airfield for seaplanes with support from the President's brother. Apparently there was a big demonstration this time last year by the fishermen because the security would mean the end of their livelihood. Seems very short-sighted to me as it would be more valuable to tourist industry if cleaned up rather than taken out of play except for planes. In any case, worth investigating. 

No comments:

Post a Comment